Representing Someone in Court

From Consumer Wiki

There are three types of representation, other than a solicitor:

1.A Litigation Friend acts on behalf of someone incapable of representing themselves, ie a child or patient. He issues the claim and, in their absence, presents the claim in court on their behalf.

See here for Practice Directions on Litigation Friend

2.A Lay Representative can represent anyone in court as long as the claimant is also present. The claim must be issued in the claimants name and all documents must be signed by the claimant.

In theory you don't have to give the court notice, just inform the court usher on arrival at court. But you can always mention this in 'Other Information' in the AQ or send a brief letter to the court once you have a hearing date. Permission is at the discretion of the court, but is usually granted.

A lay representative may, on application and with the court’s permission, conduct the case without the claimant being present. But this is extremely rare and there would have to be exceptional circumstances.

See here for Lay Representative's (Right of Audience)

3.A 'Mackenzie Friend' can accompany a claimant and be present to advise him during the hearing, but cannot address the court themselves.

See [1], [2] and [3] for Mackenzie Friend